OS Grid ref:- SJ 590 530
The historic village of Faddiley lies around 4 miles to the west of the town of Nantwich.
The village pub, the picturesque half-timbered 'Thatch' (pictured left) a popular stop with tourists to the area, serves excellent home cooked food. The building dates back to medieval times, being built around 1450 by the Tollemache Family of the Peckforton Estate and was originally known as the Tollemarche Arms.
The Battle of Feathanleag which took place around 584 A.D is believed to have been fought in the area of Faddiley. A Celtic British force led by Brochwel Prince of Powys defeated the army of Ceawlin, King of the West Saxons (died circa 593), one of the key figures in the Anglo-Saxon conquest of England, who was attempting to advance into Wales. The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle records the event '"This year Ceawlin and Cutha fought against the Britons at the place called Fethan-lea, and there was Cutha slain; and Ceawlin took many towns, and spoils innumerable; and wrathful he thence returned to his own." The battle took place either on the flat ground by Woodhey Hall, or lower down the hill by the "Thatch", where the defending force would have the advantage of broken ground protecting its flanks.
The Woodhey Cross in the village, a scheduled ancient monument, is situated at the junction of Woodhey Lane and Woodhey Hall Lane and dates from the early sixteenth century. The red sandstone cross stands about 130 cm high. It survives as a sqare section of shaft set into a deep square base on two steps.
Woodhey Chapel, (pictured right) now disused, dates from around 1700 and stands near the site of the demolished Woodhey Hall. The chapel was built by Lady Wilbraham, the widow of the Thomas Wilbraham, baronet of Woodhey. The building was restored in the twentieth century.
Nearby places of interest
Dorfold Hall, a grade I listed Jacobean mansion, is situated in the village of Acton, a mile to the west of Nantwich .
Bridgemere Garden World, covering fifty acres and Britain's largest garden centre, is located south of Nantwich and lies on the beautiful borders of Cheshire, Staffordshire and Shropshire. A gardener's paradise, the centre makes a great day out for the enthusiast.
The Anderton Boat Lift, the world's first and England's only boat lift. Dating from 1875, the Anderton Boat Lift is one of the greatest monuments to Britain's canal age and known as the "Cathedral of the Canals". It provides a fifty foot vertical link between two navigable waterways: the River Weaver and the Trent and Mersey Canal.