Fort Perch Rock
OS Grid Ref:
Fort Perch Rock at New Brighton on the Wirral, is a coastal defence which was constructed built between 1825 and 1829. It was built to protect the Port of Liverpool and as a fortified lighthouse to replace the old Perch Rock Light.
It was originally built on an area known as Black Rock, the fort was was cut off at high tide, but now coastal reclamation has made it fully accessible. The building is currently operating as a museum. The Fort covers an area of around 4,000 square yards, with enough space for 100 men. It was built with red sandstone from the nearby Runcorn quarries. The height of the walls ranges from 24 feet (7.3 m) to 32 feet (9.8 m), and the towers are 40 feet (12 m) high.
The Fort originally had a drawbridge, and a Tuscan portal which bore the coat of arms and the words 'Fort Perch Rock'. At one point it was armed with 18 guns, of which 16 were 32-pounders, mounted on platforms. It was nicknamed the 'Little Gibraltar of the Mersey'. The foundation stone reads:-
This foundation stone of the Rock Perch Battery, projected by and under the direction of John Sikes Kitson, Esquire, Captain in the Royal Engineers, for the defence of the port was laid on 31st March 1826 by Peter Bourne, Esquire, Mayor of Liverpool in the 7th year of the reign of His Majesty George IV. His Grace, the Duke of Wellington , Master General of the Ordnance.
The projected cost of the build was £27,583.0s.8d. Kitson ensured that this budget was not exceeded, finishing the fort for a total cost of £26,965.0s.8d.
The Marine Promenade is accessible directly from Junction 1 of the M53, which also connects with the Kingsway Tunnel to Liverpool.