Constructed of hand made brick in 1763 by the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, Leasowe Lighthouse on the Wirral Peninsula is the oldest brick built lighthouse in the United Kingdom.
It rises to one hundred and one feet (27 metres) in height, and stands on the sand dunes at Leasowe Common, between Moreton and Wallasey. There are seven floors which can be reached by means of a cast iron spiral staircase of 130 steps.
The lighthouse was one of four on the North Wirral Foreshore, used to guide ships into the entrance to the Rock Channel and the port of Liverpool. The others consisted of two at Hoylake and another, a lower light, at Leasowe. The latter, which was situated a quarter of a mile (0.4km) out to sea, was destroyed by a storm and was replaced by a lighthouse on Bidston Hill in 1771.
The Lighthouse features guided tours, special events and a Visitor Centre with displays about Leasowe Lighthouse, the North Wirral Coastal Park and the Wirral Coastline. It is the base for the Coastal Rangers and the focal point for the North Wirral Coastal Park.
The lighthouse is open to the public on the first Sunday of each month throughout the winter, and in the summer it is open on the first and third Sundays, 1pm until 4pm.
Exit the M53 at Junction 1 and follow the signs for Moreton Shore.