OS Grid ref:- SJ376589
Pulford is situated to the south west of of the city of Chester and lies on the border with Wales. The name derives from the Welsh words Pwll "marsh" and Ffordd "crossing".
An ancient settlement, Pulford is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 where it is recorded as being partly owned by the secular canons of the Church of St Werburgh, Chester.
The village church of St. Mary dates to 1844 and was designed by architect John Douglas, at the expense of Hugh Lupus Grosvenor, 1st Duke of Westminster.
A church has occupied the site since the twelfth century. A plaque on the wall of the south aisle, which commemorates the Burgayney family, survives from an earlier building. The magnificent east window, in common with other stained glass windows in the church, was designed by Heaton, Butler and Bayne of London.
The Grosvenor Pulford Hotel stands cross the road from the church lies “Grosvenor” is the family name of the Duke of Westminster, owners of nearby Eaton Hall.
Pulford Castle, once a small Norman motte-and-bailey castle of which only the earthworks now remain, stands behind the village church.
The castle was constructed at a strategic location guarding the crossing of Pulford Brook, which forms the border between England and Wales. The date of construction has not been recorded, but it is thought to have been built in the twelfth century by Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester. Camden writes "Poulefourd, where in the reigne of Henrie the Third Sir Raulph of Ormesby had his Castle".
The castle would have been a wooden structure on an earth mound, known as a motte, (the motte currently stands about 3 metres high), with a surrounding ditch and a small enclosure or bailey next to the motte.
A garrison was stationed at the castle, during the rebellion of the Welsh leader Owain Glyndwr in 1403, when the first Lancastrian king, Henry IV, ordered Sir Thomas le Grosvenor to guard his estates against Owain Glyndŵr.
Nearby Places of Interest
Chester, historic city founded by the Romans.
Eaton Hall, the country house of the Duke and Duchess of Westminster, The hall has been the home of the Grosvenor family since the 15th century. To the north of the hall is Eaton Chapel, with its handsome clock tower, which is a Grade I listed building. The house is surrounded by formal gardens, parkland, farmland and woodland. The gardens at Eaton Hall draw thousands of visitors each year. The gardens are only open to the public three times a year to raise funds for charity.