OS grid ref:- SD655465
The characterful hamlet of Whitewell, comprising of Upper and Lower Whitewell, is situated in a dramatic rural riverside setting in the heart of the Forest of Bowland in Lancashire.
St Michael's, a Chapel of Ease, stands at Lower Whitewell, it was built in the late medieval period, certainly no later than 1400.
The Inn at Whitewell, situated in Lower Whitewell, housed the Forest courts of the Forest of Bowland from the late fourteenth century, and provided lodgings for the Master Forester. Named as one of the so called 24 Great Inns of Britain, antique furniture, prints, paintings and log fires are features of the public rooms. The inn currently provides quality accommodation and serves food.
A walk from Whitewell
Distance - around 7 miles
Duration - about 2-3 hours
* From the parking area near the Inn at Whitewell (at OS grid ref-SD 658468) follow the course of the river to reach the stepping stones. Ascend to right of the wood and pass through a farmyard. go left by an old cheese press along a winding path, then up, crossing a field. Bear left to a gate passing through to a lane.
*Cross a stile on your right and continue across a field, on reaching a house, proceed just left of it, then right along a track, to enter a small valley. Go left to reach a farm, then right passing through the farmyard to descend to a footbridge. Turn left, to reach a stile. Go straight across the field to a further stile in the corner to.
*Continue until arriving at a farm. Enter the farmyard via a gap to the right of the large cow shed. Halfway through the farmyard turn right, between buildings, to a ford. Keep left past a plantation and continue along the edge of a field to pass through a gate. Follow the hedge round then cross it and cross over a rise. Bear right, down to a stream then along the lane to farm.
* Turn left, entering the farmyard then bear right and continue down a track. Where the path swings to the right, go left before a gate then continue on along the track. Just before the quarry, turn left, pass a limekiln, to arrive at a junction. Turn right and continue to a lane. Turn left then left again, round a bend and down.
*Cross a bridge on the right and continue to a farm, crossing the river via more stepping stones. Turn left and take the track above the river. On reaching a junction turn left, descend then bear right, above the river, to reach a stile. Follow along the fence to arrive at a further stile, then bear left to a ford. Ascend via a rough track, passing right edge of a plantation.
*Continue straight ahead crossing a field to a stile situated in the far corner. Cross the road and pass through a gate. Bear left to further gates. Proceed around the hill, above the fence, to reach further gates. Descend and pass through more gates. The path then veers to the right. Turn left just past the hill and go down the steps by the churchyard, continue down a lane to return to the parking area.
Nearby Places of Interest
Whalley Abbey- founded by Henry de Lacy, third Earl of Lincoln on the 4th April 1296.
Lancaster Castle founded in the tenth century
Ashton Memorial in Williamson Park, Lancaster was commissioned by James Williamson, Baron Ashton as a tribute to his second wife, Jenny and was built between 1907 and 1909.
Butterfly House, Lancaster
Clitheroe Castle-Norman castle keep and museum, said to be one of the oldest buildings in Lancashire, and one of the smallest keeps in England,