OS Grid ref:- SJ7474
Lower Peover, (pronounced Peever), situated five miles east of Northwich, is a pleasant and characterful village. The name Peover is pronounced ‘Peever’ and derives from the Anglo-Saxon ‘Peeffer’ meaning ‘a bright river.
The Wisteria clad entrance to the Bells of Peover Inn
The medieval Bells of Peover pub in the village is a Grade I listed building which dates back to the mid thirteenth century. It was once known as the Warren de Tabley Arms but acquired its present name, not from its proximity to the church, but from the Bell family, who once lived there, in the 1890s. The wisteria-clad pub offers an extensive menu of homemade food.
The name Peover has been compared with the Welsh pefr meaning dart as in darting or sparkling. A document of 1200 refers to Little Peover as Parva Pefria. The Domesday Book of 1086 describes Lower Peover as 'a small vill, waste and woodland, held by William fitzNigel from Earl Hugh'. Previously known as Nether Peover, the village consists of two parts, the first is a group of cottages that huddle around a small village green. Another group of buildings line a cobbled lane almost half a mile away to the south.
The Old Schoolhouse was founded in 1710, by Richard Comberbach, the local vicar, who acted as its first headmaster.
St. Oswald's Church
The medieval village church, St. Oswald's, dates from 1269 and was founded by Richard Grosvenor as a chapel of ease. It is constructed from a massive timber frames with a complex series of cross braces.
The stone tower is a later addition, dating from the sixteenth century. The church contains many Shakerley tombs and monuments. There is an impressive monument to Sir Geoffrey Shakerley who fought for the Royalists cause in the Civil War and was distinguished at the Battle of Rowton Heath which took place near Chester.
The church interior
The interior features a great deal of intricately carved wood, which adorns the pulpit, pews, lectern and screens.
There is also a large medieval chest made from a hollowed out log. Situated at the west end of the north nave arcade is a cylindrical font, though its date is uncertain, it is purported to have been brought to the church from Norton Priory in 1322.
Medieval Parish chest
Nearby places of interest
Peover Hall built in 1585 by Sir Ralph Mainwaring. During the Second World War the hall served as the headquarters of the American Third Army and was home to General George S Patton.