OS Grid ref:-
Silverdale is situated on beautiful Morecambe Bay, near to Lancashire's border with the neighbouring county of Cumbria. It forms part of the Arnside and Silverdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, which boasts a rich diversity of habitats and wildlife.
The area has many pleasant wooded walks around Arnside Knott, where the National Trust graze Highland cattle, up to the famous Pepper Pot at Silverdale, built to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria, alternatively the coast at Silverdale offers cliff top walks and sea views.
Large areas of land in the area are owned by the National Trust, Natural England and the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds as well as local wildlife trusts and conservation organisations. The RSPB's Leighton Moss nature reserve is close to the village, a popular nature reserve with an abundance of special birds and wildlife. The reserve has the largest reed bed in the north-west and attracts more than 100 species of bird, including breeding bitterns, bearded tits and marsh harrier. The area is characterised by low hills, including Arnside Knott, rising to 522 feet and Warton Crag which rises to 535 feet. Much of the area is covered by deciduous woodland, in which ash, oak and hazel predominate. The coastal areas contain large areas of salt marsh.
Jenny Brown's Point, is so named for an old woman who lived on the shore in the eighteenth century, it is accessible via a track from the village. The village itself has narrow winding lanes with superb mountain and coastal views in all directions. There is a village store, a craft shop and an excellent pub. The Parish Church is dedicated to St John and was built in 1885. The Victorian novelist Mrs Gaskell lived at Silverdale and Charlotte Bronte, as a young girl, stayed with friends at Cove House in the village.
The Lancashire Coastal Way long distance footpath runs from Silverdale to Freckleton, while the Cumbria Coastal Way also starts in the village and runs from Silverdale to Gretna in Scotland.
A Walk from Silverdale
Distance :- around 2 miles
*Commencing at Woodwell car park, turn right and follow the path alongside the field, then climb the steps to cross the road. Follow either of the two waymarked routes which bend to the left, and then climb over a stone stile. In the next field, turn left to follow a route through a gate to the top of the hill.
*Turn south then left down the slope to the salt marsh, then turn right along the shore. From the the old ore smelting chimney chimney,cross the rocks in front of the houses to arrive at a road.
*Continue onwards until reaching a gate on the left where you will enter National Trust land.* When eventually reaching a lime kiln, find the gate at the back of the kiln which leads through to the road, then turn left.
* At the road junction turn left for about 200 metres, then turn right to return to the to return to the Woodwell car park..
Nearby Places of Interest
St. Patrick's Chapel atmospheric ruins of a Saxon chapel overlooking Morecambe Bay.
Lancaster Castle founded in the tenth century
Ashton Memorial in Williamson Park, Lancaster was commissioned by James Williamson, Baron Ashton as a tribute to his second wife, Jenny and was built between 1907 and 1909.
Butterfly House, Lancaster