Penny's Almhouses, Lancaster
OS Grid ref:- SD 475616
Penny's Almshouses at Lancaster were established from an endowment left by William Penny, built for 12 poor men in 1720, they were restored in 1974 and are still occupied.
The almshouses consist of two rows of six houses forming a narrow courtyard with a chapel at the west end. The chapel, which from 1770, also served as a Bluecoat charity school for the sons of craftsmen, is occasionally open to the public.
William Penny (1646 - 1716) occupied various positions on the Lancaster Town Council and was three times Mayor of the city. When King Street was widened in the early twentieth century the two almshouses nearest the road were demolished, the screen wall was rebuilt in its present position, the depth of the chapel shortened, and two new almshouses built next to it.
Exit the M6 Motorway at Junction 34 and follow signs for Lancaster City Centre. The Almshouses are located in King Sreet.